Decatur Memorial Hospital
To improve the health of the people of Central Illinois.
Responsible for coding hospital outpatient and inpatient records for the purpose of reimbursement, research, and education in compliance with federal, state and regulatory agencies’ guidelines using the most current ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT-4/HCPCS and Medicaid classification systems. Assists in development of quality monitors and provides training to new coders as needed.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Identifies and codes hospital all outpatient and inpatient records for the purpose of reimbursement, research, and compliance according to documented diagnosis(es) operation(s) and procedure(s). Abstracts all required information in accordance with national and facility requirements.
- Accurately extracts clinical information from records according to established requirements using abstracting software.
- Meets established quality and productivity standards.
- Understands and keeps abreast of Medicare regulations that relate to coding and DRG validation and APC guidelines.
- Interpret coding rules and general policies in addition to determining appropriate conclusions.
- Must be able to explain codes, terminology and coding guidelines to physicians and hospital personnel.
- Observes confidentiality and safeguards all patient related information.
- Works with Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) staff to ensure complete, consistent documentation within the medical record.
- Identifies documentation that requires clarification.
- Works with CDI team, Coding Team Lead and/or Coding Supervisor to resolve differences between CDI and Coding.
- Assists the Coding Supervisor and/or Coding Team Leads with the development and/or revision of policies as requested.
- Assist with mentoring of coding staff when requested by the Coding Supervisor and/or Coding Team Leads.
- Communicates a positive, professional manner in contacts with visitors, physicians, and hospital staff.
- Attends continuing education classes to maintain coding proficiency in ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT/HCPCS, ambulatory surgery, ambulatory care and other areas as deemed necessary by management.
- Exhibits understanding of CARES and hospital mission statement.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department, hospital departments and with medical staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
Education and/or Other Requirements
- Bachelors degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Management
- Administrator (RHIA) exam or;
- Associates degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam; and/or
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in inpatient and outpatient coding services in an acute care setting, including but not limited to ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT coding skills.
- Epic system and 3M encoder experience preferred.
Full benefits package available. Compensation based on experience.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Can send resumes to email@example.com