Decatur Memorial Hospital
The HIM Director has two primary responsibilities. As Privacy Officer the Director is responsible for leading and coordinating the organization’s efforts to protect the privacy of all protected health information used and maintained within DMH. The role has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Compliance Officer and oversees all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures related to privacy and access to patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws and the healthcare organization’s information privacy practices.
As HIM Director the Director is responsible for directing the department’s operations which includes release of information, analysis, record maintenance (paper and electronic), inpatient/outpatient coding, and professional coding. Plans for the future, directs the implementation of new programs and procedures, and completes weekly and monthly reporting. The Director also works closely with the Medical Staff and Chief Medical Officer to ensure processes are in place to maintain a complete and high quality medical record that can be accessed quickly by caregivers. The role has a direct reporting relationship to the Vice President of Revenue Cycle.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Manages, maintains, and approves the annual budget for HIM. Sets objectives that will support the goals and objectives for assigned departments; monitors the financial performance of the department to ensure that it operates within budgetary constraints.
- Manages employees and operational unit.
- Selects and assigns department staff.
- Monitors and supervises staff; evaluates performance and initiates or recommends personnel actions.
- Encourages professional growth and development of department personnel through in-service education and other programs.
- Resolves staff grievances in accordance with organizational, departmental, and Human Resource policies.
- Plans and organizes the daily operation of HIM.
- Interacts with all levels of organization (clinical, financial, administrative, and information systems) that employ patient data in decision making and daily operations.
- Serves as an expert in managing patient health information and medical records, administering computer information systems, collecting and analyzing patient data and using classification systems and medical terminologies.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of medical, administrative, ethical, and legal requirements and standards related to healthcare delivery and the privacy of protected patient information.
- Assists in preparing and directing the preparation of a variety of recurring and special reports.
- Develops and maintains quality improvement goals for the department.
- Assists in the coordination of internal mechanisms established to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Assists in maintaining appropriate medical record control and statistics for prospective pricing systems to ensure compliance of regulations for Medicare, Medicaid and HIS.
- Analyzes departmental activities to ascertain the extent to which department goals are being met.
- Assists in establishing and directing the departmental quality assurance activities.
- Participates in the development of HIM policies and procedures on release of information, confidentiality, privacy, information security, and storage, retrieval and record retention.
- Documents and enforces the healthcare system’s HIM policies and procedures.
- Provides education and training to the healthcare system’s employees in areas relevant to HIM policies and procedures.
- Ensures a high quality of customer service, both internal and external.
- Established and maintains good interdepartmental working relationships.
- Serves on committees as requested, including revenue cycle committee, and medical records committee.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
- Monitors the initiation, revision, and implementation of external regulations, statutes, and standards; and facilitates implementation of policies and procedures related to current regulations.
- Interprets regulations for application and formation of privacy policies. Writes and reviews policies to maintain compliance.
- Investigates all privacy related complaints or incidents and recommends remediation to resolve the matter and mitigate future risk.
- Cooperates with the Office of Civil Rights, CMS, other regulatory, accrediting and legal entities, and organization officers in any compliance reviews, investigations or surveys.
- Works collaboratively with other departments as necessary to minimize the potential risk of privacy and security breaches, to mitigate damages if any, and to resolve related issues.
- Initiates, facilitates and promotes activities to foster information privacy awareness within the organization.
- Assists Compliance Officer with developing new employee and annual training.
Education and/or Other Requirements
- Bachelors degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Management Administrator (RHIA) exam; or
- Associates degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam.
- Five (5) years’ experience in a HIM supervisory position, with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience as director of HIM.
- Three (3) years’ experience as a Privacy Officer, Manager or Specialist.