Decatur Memorial Hospital
To improve the health of the people of Central Illinois.
Manages the operation of the Health Information Management (HIM) coding staff and assists the HIM Director in planning for the future direction of the coding staff and implementation of new programs and procedures.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
Plans and organizes the daily operation of coding staff.
- Assists in the development of policies, procedures, standards, and objectives for the coding staff.
- Supervises all functions of coding staff, including training and education, quality assurance reviews, and timely completion of records.
- Assists in maintaining internal and external contacts with the institution, community physicians, and health care professionals.
- Assists the Director of HIM in preparing and directing the preparation of a variety of recurring and special reports.
- Monitors outstanding accounts to ensure timely completion by coding staff.
- Monitors the discharges not final billed to ensure that accounts are coded within departmental timeframes. Adjust staffing levels as appropriate to ensure accounts are coded within the required timeframe.
- Works with the business office and patient financial services to resolve billing edits or coding-related issues.
- Works with Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) manager, and Coding Team Lead to resolve discrepancies between coding staff and CDI staff.
Develops and maintains quality improvement goals for coding staff.
- Works with the Director of HIM, and Coding Team Leads to develop coding continuous quality monitors.
- Reviews outcomes of quality reviews to identify patterns which can indicate need for additional training and education or potential reassignment of duties.
- Reviews SMART edits and outcomes to determine patterns for education.
- Reviews weekly productivity reports to identify any potential noncompliance.
- Assists in maintaining appropriate medical record control and statistics for prospective pricing systems to ensure compliance for Medicare, Medicaid, HIS and IHCCCC.
- Analyzes departmental activities to ascertain the extent to which departmental goals are being met.
Motivates and maintains a competent staff; develops teamwork.
- Assists in communicating hospital policies and procedures.
- Assists in hiring, developing, assigning work to, and evaluating all staff.
- Assists in developing and maintaining criteria-based job descriptions for all staff.
- Assists in the development of coding education program and coding mentoring program.
Ensures a high quality of customer service both internal and external.
- Exhibits understanding of CARES and hospital mission statement.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department, hospital departments and with medical staff.
Maintains professional skills and refines expertise through appropriate educational/developmental activities and professional affiliations.
- Understands and keeps abreast of CMS regulations that relate to coding and DRG and APC guidelines.
- Serves as a liaison with medical staff and nursing in regard to coding methodology
- Observes confidentiality and safeguards all patient related information.
Education and/or Other Requirements
- Bachelors degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Management Administrator (RHIA) exam and Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential; or
- Associates degree in Health Information Management with successful completion of the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam and Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in inpatient and outpatient coding services in an acute care setting, including but not limited to ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT coding skills.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Epic system and 3M encoder experience preferred.
- Candidates who are CCS credentialed and eligible for the RHIT or RHIA exam will be considered if the candidate is willing to get the second credential within 6 months.
- Candidates who only have RHIT or RHIA credential will be considered if the candidate is willing to get CCS credential within 6 months.
Full benefits package available. Salary based on experience.
Instructions for Resume Submission: