*Employees in this title typically coordinate the activities of the medical records staff of a health care facility or program.
The following information is intended to be representative of the work to be performed by the incumbent in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Assists with the coordination of daily work assignments of Medical
Records and Central Indexing staff.
- Reviews quality and accuracy of documents scanned and/or indexed into
Centricity and Touch Works.
- Accepts and approves vacation and sick requests according to
Departmental and university guidelines. reviews employee time
sheets tor completeness and completes biweekly time entry reports.
- Evaluates job performance of staff by preparing and giving job
performance evaluations to both probationary and status employees.
- Trains any new permanent employees on the day-to-day operations of the
unit and advises new employees of department guidelines and procedures
using the Employee Reference Manual.
- Issues any initial disciplinary action to staff as appropriate, and involves
the Director of Medical Records when further disciplinary action is
- Responds appropriately to calls and emails from paper chart requestors including those from physicians, nurses. secretaries, and other SIU systemusers and staff.
- Participates in the interview process for the hiring of Medical Record and Indexing staff and obtains reference checks, as required.
- Identifies possible duplicate medical records and cross-references them inPowerTrac whenever possible.
- Provides copies of records for chart audits, and SIU Legal dept. as needed.
- Maintains inventory of office supplies.
- Reports any office equipment repair or replacement needs to the Director of Medical Records.
- Serves as daily Liaison with copy service vendor on work assignments:
Orders/picks up and/or returns offsite records from our SIU record storage locations and/or record storage vendor as needed.
Sends out the weekly copy count report via email.
- Notifies the Director of Medical Records and the Clinical Infom1ation Support Unit of any PowerTrac issues, and works to resolve them whenever possible.
- Assist in training of Indexing staff; records indexing staff daily productiontotals. 45% Additional duties
- Operates unit computer systems in order to:
Wand in returned charts, look up chart locations and check out charts using the PowerTrac chart tracking system.
Look up healthcare providers’ appointment schedules and patient names and numbers using Electronic Health Record
View and print out patient digital files using the Digitized Medical Record System. Pull, view and print out patient records stored on microfilm.
Respond appropriately to e-mail messages from supervisors and administrators.
- Receives and makes phone calls requesting charts from clinics and physician offices.
- Maintains/repairs paper charts using terminal digit order and color/number identifiers.
- Shares responsibility with the Medical Record Technician for sorting mail for mail code 9641 and delivering mail to ROI support staff according to our campus mail delivery schedule.
- Answers referral requests for copies of patient electronic and paper records in the absence of the Medical Record Technician.
- Follows policies and procedures for the release of privileged and non-privileged information, referring calls to the copy service vendor appropriately. Sends and receives medical record information via fax machine when necessary, following confidentiality and faxing procedures.
- Receive and process all “invalidate” in Touchworks and “file in error” requests in Centricity in the absence of the Medical Record Technician.
5% Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowkdge of medical record format.
- Organizational skills; detail oriented.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to:
fax machine, photocopy machine, scanner and telephone.
- Ability to keyboard accurately using a personal computer.
- Good communication skills and the ability to handle telephone requests
and personal contacts appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use Centricity and Touch Works EHR.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use the PowerTrac chart tracking
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and appropriately use e-mail.
- Ability to prioritize work and accurately complete multiple tasks
- Be sensitive to the needs of underrepresented minority populations.
- Demonstrates, by actions, commitment to the mission and the behavioral
Standards of SIU School of Medicine. Provides excellent service to both
Internal and external customers through collaboration and partnership;
Compassion and respect; integrity and accountability; diversity and
inclusion; as well as continuous learning improvement.
Supervisory Controls-Controls over the position shall be written and oral
directives from the Director of Medical Records. These directives shall be
developed in close consultation with the Chief Operating Officer. The individual
in this position is expected to perform work independently according to
established procedures. Unusual situations should be referred to the Director of Medical Records for resolution who determines work priorities and provides
instruction and assistance when needed.
Guidelines-All directives shall be in accordance with the rules and operational policies and procedures of SIU Medicine, the statutes and regulations of the Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and the laws of the State of Illinois. The person in this position must be able to work independently and as a team member. The ability to prioritize work assignments appropriately, meet deadlines, and work within established guidelines is essential.
** Registration as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) by the American Health Information Management Association if required by the employing department. If registration is not required, the applicant must have 18 months of experience as a medical record technician in a health care facility or program; **AND
2 years of experience as a medical record administrator/librarian in a health care facility or program. If required by the employing department, the health care facility or program in which the experience was gained must have been accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals or the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
Health, vision, dental and life insurance offered on Day 1 of employment
37.5 hour work week
13 paid holidays per year
Choice of retirement plans
Generous vacation time
Tuition Reimbursement and Tuition Waivers
Complete an online profile at https://siumed.hiretouch.com/.
Find this Job through the ‘Jobs’ link at the top, left of the page.
Select the ‘Apply to Job’ button at the bottom of this posting.
Complete the Job Source form, letting us know how you learned about this vacancy.
Complete the required Civil Service Application package forms and upload applicable documents.
Certain requirements may apply for out-of-state applicants. Please visit siumed.edu/jobs and review the specific job listing information for details.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Apply Online: https://siumed.hiretouch.com/